While Thailand has been a popular destination for weddings in the recent past, people are now favouring the beautiful and relatively unexplored Sri Lankan landscapes for their destination weddings. The beautiful beach island not only has scenic appeal but is also well priced. Here are a few tips if you’re thinking of planning your wedding outside India.
Where to go?
Sri Lanka has many beautiful options where you can host your wedding but where should you go? We’ve got the best options:
- Unawatuna: A small beach town in Sri Lanka, Unawatuna is the perfect destination for a peaceful and serene wedding.
- Kalutara: Boasting beautiful beaches, temples and natural beauty, Kalutara is great destination wedding getaway.
- Colombo: Well connected to all parts of the world, Colombo makes for an easy yet beautiful destination for a luxury wedding.
- Kandy: A hilly city with quite a large population, Kandy has some excellent options for a wedding.
Sri Lanka has many gorgeous resorts where you can host your friends and family comfortably. Here are our top picks:
- Avani Kalutara is a popular destination for weddings and our top pick for the destination. Another fabulous option in Kalutara is Tangerine Beach Hotel. Explore the hotels through by comparing tariff rates and other amenities.
- Amaya Hills in Kandy is another popular and well rated hotel for weddings. You can also opt for the Cinnamon Citadel or The Hermitage in Kandy for a great package on destination weddings.
- While Unawatuna is a gorgeous destination in all respects, some of the top picks for hotels there include The Frangipani Tree or Thaproban Beach House!
- The ultimate in luxury destinations, the Taj Samudra in Colombo is perfect if you’re planning an opulent destination wedding. You can also opt for the Hilton Colombo or Cinnamon Lakeside for a wonderful experience.
Wine & Dine
The ideal wedding meal in Sri Lanka should be composed of fresh seafood, local beer and a relaxed vibe. Choose from a range of fresh caught fish, lobster, crab and prawn to compose a menu that reflects the local cuisine and fresh produce.
Photography, Video & Makeup
It is always advisable to book your makeup artist, photographer & videographer and make them travel with you for the wedding. However, if you are looking to hire local experts, we’ve got the best options here:
- Geeshan of Geeshan Bandara Photography
- Shamika Fernando of Native Tribe photography
- Kushanta Hevapathirana of Studio U also create wedding videos and films
- Jacquie Mae for makeup.
- Viran Jose for makeup.
While you can always plan a destination wedding in Sri Lanka yourself, we strongly suggest hiring a wedding planner to smooth over the details of your big day! Check our Siritha and Our Wedding Sri Lanka for a reliable planner.